Calcium carbide,inorganic compounds. Colorless crystal, industrial products are gray-black block, section is purple or gray. In the presence of water, an intense reaction occurs immediately, producing acetylene and releasing heat. Calcium carbide is an important basic chemical raw material, which is mainly used to produce acetylene gas. It is also used in organic synthesis, oxyacetylene welding, etc.
1. Principle of acetylene reaction: CaC2+2H2O_Ca(OH)2+CH_CH_CaC2 can conduct electricity, the higher the purity, the easier the conduction.
2. Other uses:
(1) Acetylene produced by the reaction of calcium carbide with water can synthesize many organic compounds, such as synthetic rubber, synthetic resin, acetone, ketene, carbon black, etc. At the same time, acetylene-oxygen flame is widely used in metal welding and cutting.
(2) When powdered calcium carbide is heated with nitrogen, the reaction produces calcium cyanamide, i.e. lime nitrogen. The melt of cyanide formed by the reaction of lime nitrogen and salt is heated for gold mining and non-ferrous metal industry.
(3) Calcium carbide itself can be used as desulfurizer in iron and steel industry.
(4) Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is produced by calcium carbide method. Acetylene (C2H2) is produced by calcium carbide (CaC2) and water. Vinyl chloride monomer (CH2CHCl) is synthesized from acetylene and hydrogen chloride (HCl). Vinyl chloride is then synthesized into polyvinyl chloride (CH CHCI) n-through polymerization.
Welcome to visit us at www.ngochem.com